Travel Tour China

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Shaolin Temple and the Extravagant Earlier Period of China

When I visit Asia, there is always one country I cannot afford to miss, probably due to the unique culture, artistically inclined locals, and enchanting scenic sights. But just recently, I alleged there was nothing more I could encounter. I have been to the formidable Great Wall, dined in the most gorgeous restaurants, submerged in their culture, and met amicable locals so, what more could I expect from China? This was my mindset on the first day of my recent China expedition but not until a very nice fellow brought me to Shaolin Temple.

Shaolin was first a house for an Indian monk named Batou who was spreading Buddhism across China. Since then, it has housed many monks who were alleged to have performed mysteries and legends.

But more than a monk house, Shaolin has become an advocate of martial arts that these two practically became inseparable. Since Shaolin was in a relatively busy and perilous area, which is the infinite Songshan Mountains, martial artists were generally fighting against possible invaders and Japanese culprits; that, in return, inevitably progressed their fighting skills. In the succeeding dynasties, over a thousand soldier-monks were appointed to guard the temple. Though there were many soldiers camping in Shaolin, they were not able to protect it from several fire incidents that practically powdered the whole construction.

Still, Shaolin is in its outstanding state, inviting sightseers from around the globe. With relics from the past dynasties, Shaolin is a window to the extravagant earlier period of China.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home